Geographic Coordinates: 41.073600, 28.247800
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 30.0°C (50°F to 86°F)
Silivri is a charming coastal town located on the European side of Turkey, About 70 kilometers to the west of Istanbul. The town sits on the Marmara Sea and attracts tourists from all over the world with its unspoiled beaches, Magnificent landscapes, And cultural heritage. The name Silivri comes from the Greek word Selymbria meaning place of eels, As it was once a thriving fishing village.
It has since transformed into a popular tourist destination with a rich history dating back to ancient times when it was ruled by various empires including Byzantine, Roman, And Ottoman. One of Silivri’s most famous landmarks is its historic castle built during the Byzantine era. The castle offers stunning views of both land and sea that visitors can explore while learning about its fascinating history. Silivri also boasts several beautiful beaches perfect for sunbathing or swimming such as Altinkum Beach, Kumburgaz Beach, And Tuzla Beach. Visitors can take long walks along their sandy shores while enjoying breathtaking views.
Apart from natural beauty spots, Silivri is also known for its delicious seafood cuisine that draws foodies from far and wide. Freshly caught fish are prepared using traditional cooking methods to create mouth-watering dishes like grilled octopus or fried calamari. For those interested in shopping for local goods or souvenirs, Silivri has several markets selling everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts. The Friday market held at Cumhuriyet Square is particularly famous among locals and tourists alike.
visitors can experience traditional Turkish hospitality by staying at one of Silviri’s many hotels or guesthouses scattered throughout town offering comfortable accommodation options for all budgets. whether you’re exploring historical sites like castle ruins or indulging in delicious seafood cuisine while enjoying stunning beach views – Silviri offers something unique for every traveler seeking an authentic Turkish experience. Its rich cultural heritage, Natural beauty, And warm hospitality make it a must-visit destination in Turkey.
- Silivri Beach: This beautiful beach is a popular destination for tourists who want to relax and enjoy the sun.
- Kumburgaz Beach: Another popular beach in Silivri, Kumburgaz is known for its clear waters and stunning views.
- Mimar Sinan Mosque: This historic mosque was built by the famous Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan in the 16th century.
- Selimpaşa Castle: Dating back to the Byzantine era, this castle offers breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding countryside.
- Tashan Caravanserai: Built during the Ottoman period, this caravanserai served as a stopping point for travelers on their way to Istanbul.
- Avcılar Bird Sanctuary: Located just outside Silivri, this sanctuary is home to a variety of bird species including flamingos, pelicans, and storks.
- Agva Nature Park: This park offers hiking trails through scenic forests and along riverside paths that lead to waterfalls and natural pools.
- Istanbul Aquarium: Just a short drive from Silivri, this massive aquarium features over 15,000 species of marine life from around the world.
- Silivri, Turkey is a town that is primarily focused on agriculture and fishing.
- It also has a variety of industries and businesses that operate within its borders:
- Textile manufacturing
- Construction companies
- Food processing plants
- Tourism services
- Fishing industry operations
- Automotive parts manufacturers
- In addition to these industries, Silivri also has several chemical plants that produce various chemicals used in different sectors such as agriculture or textiles manufacturing.
- The town’s proximity to Istanbul’s main ports & highways has made logistics & transportation services one of the major businesses in Silviri providing support services for import/export trades as well as domestic transportation needs of various industries operating from this region.
- Overall, Silivri is a diverse town with many different business opportunities for those looking to invest or start their own company.
- The Battle of Silivri (1204) was a significant military engagement between the Latin Empire and the Byzantine Empire during the Fourth Crusade.
- Mehmed IV, an Ottoman Sultan who ruled from 1648 to 1687, was born in Silivri in 1642.
- The Treaty of Hünkâr İskelesi (1833) was signed between Russia and the Ottoman Empire with Silivri serving as a key location for negotiations.
- Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, Turkey’s founding father, visited Silivri on several occasions during his presidency, including an inspection of a local prison in 1930.
- The high-security Silivri Prison Complex has been used throughout Turkey’s history to house political prisoners, including members of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation who were executed there in 1915.
- In 1999, a devastating earthquake struck near Silivri causing widespread damage and loss of life across Istanbul province known as Marmara Earthquake.
- In 2013, nationwide protests against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government included demonstrations at a park in Silivri as part of Gezi Park Protests against government plans to redevelop Istanbul’s Gezi Park.
- Şahin Alpay is a Turkish journalist who was imprisoned at the Silivri Prison Complex following his arrest during a crackdown on alleged coup plotters in 2016; his case drew international attention to concerns about press freedom under President Erdoğan’s government.
- Silivri Prison Museum showcases the history of the prison and its inmates, including political prisoners during Turkey’s military coups.
- Silivri Open Air Museum is an outdoor museum featuring ancient Roman ruins and artifacts found in the area.
- Selimpaşa Castle was built in the 15th century by Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Kumburgaz Beach is a popular beach destination with clear waters and sandy beaches perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- Kıyıköy Ancient City is an ancient city dating back to the 7th century BC with well-preserved ruins including a theater, agora, and temple.
- Silivri Marina is a modern marina with restaurants, cafes, shops, and a promenade for strolling along the waterfront.
- Silivri Vineyards are known for their high-quality wines that can be tasted at local wineries such as Barbare Vineyard or Melen Winery.
- Agora Shopping Mall is a large shopping mall featuring international brands, cinemas, restaurants, cafes and entertainment facilities.
- Silivri International Strawberry Festival is an annual event held in May or June to celebrate the abundance of strawberries grown in the region. The festival offers visitors a range of activities such as music, dance, food stalls and competitions.
- Silivri Olive Harvest Festival takes place in November and celebrates the olive harvest season with visitors able to participate in olive picking, taste different types of olives and olive oil while enjoying traditional Turkish music and dance performances.
- Silivri International Folk Dance Festival brings together folk dance groups from around Turkey and other countries to perform traditional dances on stage.
- Silivri Sea Fest is held every summer celebrating the town’s coastal location with seafood dishes prepared by local restaurants, live music performances along with water sports activities like jet skiing and parasailing.
- Traditional Wrestling Festival is an August or September event that attracts wrestlers from all over Turkey competing for prizes while spectators enjoy traditional Turkish food and drink.
- Horse Racing Competition: Horse racing competitions are regularly held at the Silivri Hippodrome throughout the year with various events taking place during weekends such as trotting races or jumps races.
- National Independence Day Celebrations take place on October 29th each year where Turkey celebrates its national independence day with parades featuring military bands marching through town along with fireworks displays at night enjoyed by locals as well as visitors from abroad who come to join in on this important national holiday celebration!
- Fish Restaurants: Silivri is famous for its fresh seafood. Some of the popular fish restaurants in the area are Sahil Balik Restoran, Karadeniz Balikcisi, and Kiremitci Koyu.
- Meat Dishes: Turkish kebabs and meat dishes are also very popular in Silivri. Some of the best places to try these dishes are Tarihi Selim Usta Ocakbasi, Cemal Usta Kebap Salonu, and Haci Dayi Et Lokantasi.
- Pide Shops: Pide is a traditional Turkish dish that is similar to pizza but with a different crust. Some of the best pide shops in Silivri include Kayabey Pide Salonu and Yilmazoglu Pide Salonu.
- Baklava Shops: Baklava is a sweet pastry made with layers of phyllo dough filled with nuts and honey syrup. Some of the best baklava shops in Silivri include Haci Bekir Usta Baklavacisi and Gulluoglu Baklavacisi.
- Traditional Turkish Breakfast Places: Turkish breakfasts are famous all over Turkey for their variety of dishes served on one plate such as cheese, olives, eggs cooked various ways etc.. A few places that serve great traditional breakfasts include Ozkan Kahvalti Evi ,Serkanlar Kahvalti Salonu.
- Silivri Beach is a popular public beach where visitors can swim, sunbathe, and enjoy water sports.
- Silivri National Park is a large park that offers walking trails, picnic areas, and scenic views of the sea.
- Kumbaba Hiking Trail is a scenic hiking trail that takes you through the forested hills of Silivri.
- Atatürk Parkı is a public park that has playgrounds, sports fields, and walking paths for visitors to enjoy.
- Kumsal Parkı is another public park with a playground and picnic area near the beach.
- Yalıköy Marina offers visitors the opportunity to rent boats or go fishing in the beautiful waters off Silivri’s coast.
- Horseback Riding enthusiasts will find several horse riding clubs in Silivri offering lessons and trail rides through the countryside.
- Tennis Courts are available for rent throughout Silivri if you want to play tennis while visiting this beautiful town.
- Golf Courses are also available just outside of town at places like Kemer Country Club – perfect for golfing enthusiasts!
- Water Sports Activities such as windsurfing, kitesurfing, and jet skiing can be enjoyed at various locations along the coast of Silivri – an exciting way to experience this stunning destination!