Ozamiz City, Philippines
Region: Misamis Occidental
Geographic Coordinates: 8.150000, 123.850000
Temperature Range: 25.0°C to 35.0°C (77°F to 95°F)
Ozamiz City is a beautiful coastal city located in Misamis Occidental, Philippines. It is situated on the northern coast of Mindanao Island and has a population of around 141, 828 people. The city is popular for its rich cultural heritage, Historical landmarks, And natural attractions that attract tourists from all over the world. One of Ozamiz City’s most significant landmarks is the Cotta Fort which was built by Spanish colonizers in 1756 to protect against pirates and other invaders.
Today it stands as a testament to Ozamiz City’s rich history and serves as a popular tourist destination where visitors can learn about the city’s past. Another must-see attraction in Ozamiz City is the Immaculate Conception Cathedral which was built during Spanish colonial times with stunning architecture that blends European and Filipino influences. Visitors can marvel at its intricate details while also taking part in religious services or events.
Apart from historical landmarks, Ozamiz City offers plenty of natural attractions for visitors to explore such as Mount Malindang National Park which covers an area of 53, 262 hectares with diverse flora and fauna species including Philippine deer (Cervus mariannus), Long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis), Philippine pygmy fruit bats (Haplonycteris fischeri) among others. For those interested in water activities like swimming or snorkeling, There are several beaches nearby such as Dalipuga Falls which features crystal clear waters cascading down from high cliffs into natural pools below perfect for swimming or even cliff diving if you’re feeling adventurous!
The food scene in Ozamiz City offers some unique culinary experiences that highlight local ingredients like seafood dishes made with fresh fish caught from nearby waters or traditional Filipino dishes like adobo cooked with coconut milk. the people of Ozamiz City are known for their warm hospitality and welcoming nature making it an excellent destination for those looking to experience Filipino culture firsthand while also enjoying its natural beauty and rich history.
- Cotta Fort and Shrine – This historic fort was built in the 18th century by Spanish colonizers to protect Ozamiz City from pirates and Muslim invaders.
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral – Located in the heart of Ozamiz City, this beautiful church is known for its intricate architecture and stained glass windows.
- Misamis Occidental Aquamarine Park (MOAP) – An eco-tourism park that offers various activities such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking, and island hopping.
- Caluya Shrine – A pilgrimage site dedicated to Our Lady of Most Holy Rosary of Manaoag, believed to have miraculous powers.
- Bukagan Hill – A popular hiking spot that offers panoramic views of the city and its surroundings.
- Triplex Islands – Three small islands located off the coast of Ozamiz City that are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and picnicking.
- La Salle University-Ozamiz Museum- An educational museum showcasing artifacts related to local history,culture,and arts
- Congressional Freedom Park- A park where people can relax with family or friends while enjoying nature’s beauty
- Angelina Lim Memorial Park- A well-maintained park with different recreational facilities like basketball court,volleyball court etc
- Ozamiz City Public Market- This bustling marketplace is a great place for tourists to buy local produce,souvenirs,and delicacies.
- Farming of rice, corn, coconut, and other crops
- Commercial fishing and aquaculture
- Production of furniture, garments, handicrafts, and food products
- Retail trade
- Small stores and markets selling various goods
- Promotion of local attractions such as historical sites and beaches
- Popular festivals include Sinulog sa Tangub and Subayan Keg Subanen
- Banking and finance services
- Education services
- Primary to tertiary levels
- Healthcare services
- Provided through hospitals or clinics
- Transportation services
- Public transportation options such as jeepneys or tricycles
- Construction projects
- Building infrastructure projects such as roads or buildings
- The founding of Ozamiz City occurred in 1756, led by Spanish colonizers under Governor-General Pedro Manuel de Arandia.
- During the Philippine-American War, the Battle of Ozamiz took place on May 20-22, 1900. Filipino forces led by General Vicente Lukban fought against American troops commanded by Captain John Pershing resulting in an American victory.
- Misamis Occidental was established as a separate province from Misamis Oriental in 1929 with Ozamiz City becoming its capital.
- In 1954, President Ramon Magsaysay visited Ozamiz City to inaugurate public works projects and address the local community.
- Fr. Tulio Favali, an Italian missionary serving in the Diocese of Dipolog covering parts of Zamboanga Peninsula including areas around Ozami city was murdered by paramilitary forces in April 1985.
- On July 30th,2017 Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr., his wife Susan and twelve others were killed during a police raid at their residence in Barangay San Roque Lawis,Ozami city
- On November ,2021 ,a group called November Criminals attacked several establishments including banks and pawnshops resulting into millions worth damages.
- Cotta Fort – a historic fort built by the Spanish in 1756 to protect against Muslim raids.
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral – a beautiful church with intricate designs and stained glass windows.
- Misamis Occidental Provincial Capitol Complex – a government complex that houses various offices and buildings, including the Capitol Building, Convention Center, and Cultural Center.
- Ozamiz City Museum – a museum showcasing the city’s rich history and culture through exhibits of artifacts, photographs, and paintings.
- Fuerte de la Concepcion y del Triunfo (Fort of La Concepcion) – another historic fort built by the Spanish in 1686 to defend against Moro pirates.
- Bukagan Hill Eco-Park – an eco-park that offers scenic views of Ozamiz City from atop Bukagan Hill
- Duka Bay Resort – a popular beach resort that offers various water activities such as snorkeling, diving, kayaking etc
- Mt Malindang Range Natural Park – an ecological reserve park with lush greenery perfect for hiking trails
- Ozamiz Public Market- A bustling market where you can find local delicacies like pastel (sweet bread filled with meat or sweet filling), binaki (steamed corn cake), biko (sweet rice cake) among others
- Triple Junction Marker- A marker located in Barangay Labo-Labo which marks the intersection point between three tectonic plates: Philippine Sea Plate, Eurasian Plate and Pacific Plate
- Ozamiz City FC – This football club was established in 2009 and has since competed in various local and regional tournaments. They have won several championships, including the Mindanao Cup in 2016.
- Ozamiz Cotta Basketball Team – The Cotta basketball team is one of the oldest teams in Ozamiz City, having been founded in the early 1980s. They have participated in numerous local leagues and tournaments over the years.
- Ozamiz City Volleyball Club – This volleyball club was founded in 2015 and has quickly made a name for itself by winning several championships at both the local and regional levels.
- Ozamiz City Chess Club – The chess club is one of the most active sports organizations in the city, with regular competitions held throughout the year. They have produced several top players who have represented Ozamiz City at national tournaments.
- Tri-Oz Triathlon Team – The Tri-Oz triathlon team was established in 2017 and has since become one of the most successful sports teams in Ozamiz City. They have won numerous awards at both local and international events, including Ironman races held abroad.
- Sinulog sa Ozamiz is a religious festival that takes place every third Sunday of January to honor the Sto. Niño de Cebu.
- The Feast of Nuestra Señora dela Concepcion is celebrated on December 8th in honor of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, the city’s patroness.
- Pakanaug Festival is held every July 15th and showcases the rich history and traditions of Ozamiz City.
- Kinabayo Festival is a lively celebration that reenacts the Spanish-Moorish wars and takes place on July 25th.
- The Feast of San Roque, celebrated on August 16th, honors St. Roch, the patron saint against plagues and epidemics.
- Ozamiz City Charter Day Celebration commemorates the city’s founding anniversary on January 16th each year.
- Pasonanca Festival is a week-long event that includes street dancing competitions, trade fairs, food festivals, and more; it usually takes place during August or September.
- Ozamiz Mountain Bike Challenge is an annual mountain bike competition participated by bikers from all over Mindanao; it typically occurs during October.
- Sutukil – a seafood restaurant that serves fresh seafood cooked three ways: grilled (sugba), boiled (tuwa), and ceviche (kilaw).
- Jollibee – a popular fast-food chain that serves Filipino-style fried chicken, burgers, and spaghetti.
- KFC – another fast-food chain that serves fried chicken, burgers, and sides.
- Chooks-to-Go – a rotisserie chicken restaurant that also offers rice meals and sandwiches.
- Pater Alimango House – a local restaurant that specializes in crab dishes such as pater alimango (crab meat wrapped in banana leaves) and ginataang alimango (crab cooked in coconut milk).
- Citi Cafe – a cafe-style restaurant that serves Filipino breakfast dishes such as tocino, longganisa, and tapsilog.
- Lutong Bahay ni Nanay Nita – a home-cooked food stall located inside the public market that offers affordable Filipino dishes like adobo, sinigang, and kare-kare.
- Mang Inasal – another fast-food chain known for its grilled chicken with unlimited rice.
- Jolibee Plaza Food Court – located near the city plaza where various food stalls sell street food like barbecue skewers, fish balls, kwek-kwek (quail eggs coated in orange batter), balot (boiled duck egg with chick inside), among others.
- Oroquieta Street Food Market – A night-time street food market where vendors sell different kinds of barbecues such as isaw ng baboy or manok(pig or chicken intestines), adidas(chicken feet) betamax(coagulated pork blood), hotdog on stick etc.
- Cotta Fort and Park
- Ozamiz City Plaza
- Tri-Mountain View Resort
- Misamis Occidental Aquamarine Park (MOAP)
- Mt. Malindang Golf and Country Club
- Hoyohoy Highland Stone Chapel Adventure Park
- Bongabong Falls and Ecopark
- Dalapakan Beach Resort
- Ozamiz City Sports Complex