Geographic Coordinates: 41.020000, 28.577500
Temperature Range: 10.0°C to 30.0°C (50°F to 86°F)
Büyükçekmece is a district located on the European side of Istanbul, Turkey. It is situated on the shores of the Marmara Sea and surrounded by lush greenery. The name Büyükçekmece means big fountain in Turkish, Referring to the ancient Roman aqueducts built in this area. The district has a rich history dating back to ancient times. During the Byzantine era, Büyükçekmece was an important center for agriculture and trade due to its location on the Silk Road. Later during Ottoman rule, It became an important military outpost and home to many soldiers and their families.
Today, Büyükçekmece is a thriving residential area with over 200, 000 people living there. It’s increasingly popular among young professionals looking for affordable housing options outside Istanbul’s busy city center. One of Büyükçekmece’s biggest attractions is its beautiful beaches with several public beaches perfect for swimming or sunbathing during summer months. There are also many cafes and restaurants along the beachfront where visitors can enjoy delicious Turkish cuisine while taking in stunning views of the sea.
Another popular attraction in Büyükçekmece is its annual International Culture and Arts Festival which brings together artists from all over Turkey as well as other countries worldwide to showcase their work in music, Dance, Theater and more. For those interested in history or architecture, Several notable landmarks worth visiting include historic Roman aqueducts mentioned earlier as well as several Ottoman-era mosques such as Hacı İlyas Mosque and Yeni Mosque. Overall, Büyükçekmece offers visitors a unique blend of natural beauty, Rch history, And modern amenities making it an ideal destination for anyone looking to experience all that Istanbul has to offer.’
- Büyükçekmece Lake is a stunning and sizable lake located in the heart of the district. Visitors can enjoy walking paths and parks along its shores.
- Tüyap Fair and Congress Center is an enormous convention center that hosts international trade fairs, exhibitions, and conferences.
- Mimar Sinan Mosque is a historical mosque built by the renowned Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan during the 16th century.
- Kıraç Museum is a private museum with an impressive collection of antique cars, motorcycles, and other vehicles from different eras.
- Aqua Marine Water Park offers families with children various water slides, pools, and other exciting attractions to enjoy at their leisure.
- Büyükçekmece Beach is a well-known beach on the coast of Marmara Sea where visitors can swim or sunbathe during summer months.
- Atatürk Forest Farm is a large parkland located on the outskirts of Istanbul that provides hiking trails, picnic areas, and even features a zoo with native animals like wolves and bears.
- Hadımköy Racing Circuit is an international motor racing circuit situated near Büyükçekmece that plays host to various motorsport events throughout each year.
- Beylikdüzü Migros Shopping Mall stands out as one of Istanbul’s largest shopping centers in western suburbs with hundreds of stores selling clothes, electronics as well as food items among others.
- Orhanlı Village Organic Market takes place every Sunday morning where visitors can purchase fresh vegetables & fruits directly from local farmers at reasonable prices.
- Büyükçekmece is a district situated in the western part of Istanbul, Turkey.
- The area has a diverse range of industries and businesses, including:
- The service sector
- The Battle of Büyükçekmece occurred in 1303 between the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires, resulting in an Ottoman victory.
- Completed in 1988, the Büyükçekmece Dam provides water to Istanbul and generates hydroelectric power.
- Turkey’s first president, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, visited Büyükçekmece in 1927 to inspect a local agricultural project.
- During the Roman period, Büyükçekmece was a significant center for pottery production.
- Sultan Mehmed II built a palace on the shores of Lake Büyükçekmece during his reign from 1451-1481.
- In August 1999, a devastating earthquake hit western Turkey causing significant damage to buildings and infrastructure in Büyükçekmece.
- Hüseyin Avni Lifij was a Turkish painter who lived from 1886 to 1927 and created many works inspired by life on the shores of Lake Büyükçekmece.
- Zeki Müren was one of Turkey’s most famous singers and composers who had a summer house in Büyükçekmece where he spent much of his time during his later years before passing away there in 1996.
- Ayşe Kulin is a bestselling author whose novels often explore Turkish history and culture; she was born and raised near Istanbul close to Büyükçekmece.
- Nuri Bilge Ceylan is an award-winning filmmaker who grew up near Lake Kücükcekmecee which is adjacent to Lake Buyukcekemecee.
- Büyükçekmece Lake is a stunning natural attraction situated in the heart of the city.
- Tüyap Fair and Congress Center is one of Turkey’s biggest exhibition centers, hosting various events throughout the year.
- Büyükçekmece Culture and Art Center is a modern cultural complex that includes a theater, cinema, art gallery, and conference halls.
- Hacı İbrahim Çavuş Mosque is an ancient mosque built in the 16th century with beautiful Ottoman architecture.
- Büyükçekmece Castle is an old castle dating back to Byzantine times that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding area.
- Kıraç Museum showcases Turkish history and culture through a collection of artifacts from different eras.
- Atatürk Monument Park honors Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of modern Turkey; it features a large statue and other monuments.
- Mimar Sinan Mosque Complex consists of a mosque, madrasa (Islamic school), tomb, and fountain built by famous Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan in the 16th century.
- Güzelce Marina provides boat tours on Büyükçekmece Lake as well as access to nearby beaches.
- Istanbul University Faculty of Aquatic Sciences Aquarium Museum displays marine life from around the world with educational exhibits for visitors to learn about aquatic ecosystems and conservation efforts.
- Büyükçekmece is a district located on the European side of Istanbul, Turkey with a rich history of sports activities and events.
- Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in Büyükçekmece, with several local amateur teams participating in various leagues and tournaments.
- One notable football club in Büyükçekmece is Büyükçekmece Tepecikspor, founded in 1974. The team plays its home games at Yenikent Stadium, which has a capacity of 1,500 spectators.
- Bursaspor Basketbol Club (Bursaspor BC) is a basketball team that has played several games against local teams from the district over the years. Although Bursaspor is not based in Büyükçekmece specifically.
- Other popular sports activities in Büyükçekmece include volleyball, handball, tennis, swimming, and martial arts.
- Several local clubs offer training programs for these sports as well as opportunities for competition at various levels.
- Overall there may not be any major professional or semi-professional teams based solely out of Büyükçekmece itself; there are still plenty of opportunities for locals to participate actively or passively within sporting communities both locally or otherwise nearby within Istanbul’s greater metropolitan area!
- Büyükçekmece Culture and Art Festival celebrates the rich culture and art of Büyükçekmece with music, dance, food, and handicrafts.
- International Children’s Festival is held every year in April to celebrate children from all over the world. It includes various activities such as workshops, games, concerts, and performances.
- International Kite Festival is held annually in May or June on Büyükçekmece Beach. This festival features colorful kites from around the world flying high in the sky.
- International Jazz Festival brings together jazz musicians from Turkey and abroad for a week-long celebration of jazz music in October.
- Büyükçekmece Sea Festivals are held during summer months to celebrate the sea culture of Büyükçekmece with boat races, fishing contests, swimming competitions, and beach parties.
- Traditional Turkish Wrestling Tournament (Kırkpınar) takes place every July in Edirne but has regional qualifying events across Turkey including one held annually at Büyükçekmece Stadium.
- Ramadan Festivities (Ramazan Bayramı) are celebrated with three days of festivities called Ramazan Bayramı which include feasting on traditional foods such as baklava and sweets while visiting family members’ homes or attending prayers at local mosques.
- Balıkçı Ahmet: A seafood restaurant that offers fresh fish and meze dishes.
- Köfteci Ramiz: A köfte (meatball) restaurant that is famous for its delicious meatballs.
- Kır Kahvesi: A traditional Turkish restaurant that serves grilled meats, soups, and meze dishes.
- İstanbul Köftecisi: Another köfte restaurant that is known for its juicy meatballs and homemade bread.
- Çınaraltı Cafe & Restaurant: A cozy cafe and restaurant with a beautiful view of the Büyükçekmece Lake, serving Turkish breakfast, kebabs, salads, and desserts.
- Sahan Sofrası: A family-friendly Turkish restaurant with a variety of traditional dishes like pide (Turkish pizza), lahmacun (Turkish flatbread), kebab, baklava etc.
- Mado Cafe & Restaurant: One of the most popular dessert places in Büyükçekmece that offers ice cream, baklava, Turkish delight (lokum), coffee and tea specialties in a cozy atmosphere.
- Tarihi Sultanahmet Köftecisi Selim Usta: An old-school köfte spot with a long history in Istanbul serving delicious meatballs since 1920s!
- Büyükçekmece Beach Park is a popular destination with its long sandy beach, walking and cycling paths, picnic areas, playgrounds, and water sports facilities.
- TÜYAP Fair and Congress Center is a large exhibition center that hosts various events such as fairs, congresses, concerts, and exhibitions.
- Güzelce Marina offers boat tours along the Marmara Sea coast as well as fishing trips.
- Yakuplu Park is a green park with walking paths for visitors to enjoy. It also has playgrounds for children and picnic areas with barbecue grills.
- Atatürk Forest Farm is an expansive forest area located in the middle of Büyükçekmece district that has hiking trails for visitors to explore.
- Aqua Marine Water Park is an amusement park featuring water slides and pools suitable for all ages.
- Beylikdüzü Life Valley Park is a beautiful park located near Büyükçekmece district that boasts of a lake surrounded by trees where visitors can enjoy walks or picnics on its lush green lawns.
- Kumburgaz Beaches are famous beaches in the region known for their crystal-clear waters ideal for swimming or sunbathing on their sandy shorelines.
- Buyukcekmece City Museum showcases the history of Buyukcekmece city from ancient times to modern days through archeological artifacts found in excavations done within the city limits.
- Buyukcekmece Hippodrome hosts races throughout the year attracting thousands of local visitors as well as tourists who are interested in sports activities.